Snow and cold weather resulted in billions of dollars in damage and hundreds of thousands of insurance claims last winter.
Tips for preparing your home in advance of another freeze:
- Get your chimney inspected and cleaned. Creosote buildup can start a fire.
- Test your carbon monoxide and smoke alarms. Replace alarms that are 10 years old or more.
- Trim trees hanging over your house and cars.
- Seal leaks or cracks around bathroom and kitchen pipes.
- Wrap outdoor pipes and indoor pipes in unheated areas (like a clothes washer in your garage).
- Drain lawn sprinkler lines and house fire sprinklers.
- Find your water shut-off valve. It’s usually under a metal lid near the street.
- If you leave your house before a freeze, turn off the water at the shut-off valve and leave your heat on.
Have a question about insurance? Call the Texas Department of Insurance at 800-252-3439 or visit www.tdi.texas.gov.