Aging Is Awesome!

Have you ever thought about how awesome aging can be? Yes, we may have our share of aches and pains and need those reading glasses, but there are some reasons to celebrate this time of our lives too! You know yourself better, feel wiser and are a part of a very powerful demographic group.

Author Emma Rodbro has written an article called, “10 Reasons Why Aging is Awesome”. She shared some fun facts about aging that just may surprise you!

  • Age doesn’t determine success – Think Colonel Sanders and Grandma Moses
  • We lose a few bones along the way – We are born with 350 bones, but during the aging process, some of our bones fuse together leaving us with 206 bones as adults.
  • Seniors hold the most voting power – People 60 and over cast more ballots than any other age group.
  • Creativity doesn’t diminish with age – Laura Ingalls Wilder didn’t publish Little House in the Big Woods until she was 65. Millard Kaufman published his first novel when he was 90!
  • Seniors are living longer – Advancements in health care and technology are helping people live longer. The population of people over 85 is expected to triple in the next 20 years.
  • … and growing faster – Older adults make up the fastest growing age group in the US according to the US Census Bureau.
  • You (mostly) have control over your aging – Many studies indicate that only 30% of the characteristics associated with aging are controlled by genetics. The other 70% is controlled by chosen lifestyles.
  • There is less stress after 65 – Despite health and money concerns, studies show that those 65 and older experience less stress in their lives.
  • Learning can save your brain – Keeping your brain active with learning will grow new neurons in your brain which can help to fight off dementia.
  • Sleeping habits can alter over time – We get tired earlier and wake up earlier.

To read Emma Rodbro’s article, click here.

Embrace the awesomeness and the power of your senior years, and enjoy the ride!

– Becky Lynn is a writer for She and her husband Bob enjoy spending time with their 8 grandchildren and traveling. Becky loves cranking up the music and heading to the kitchen to try out new recipes or cook for an upcoming party. She is passionate about continuing to be a life-long learner!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here