When we think of Thanksgiving, we usually think of turkeys, but what do most of us really know about turkeys? Here are some fun facts about turkeys for you and your kids to read and discuss.
- Turkeys are large birds that are native to North America.
- They are mostly domesticated, but can also live in the wild.
- There are two species of turkeys – the wild turkey and the ocellated turkey.
- Wild turkeys spend their days looking for and eating food such as acorns, seeds, small insects, berries and fruits.
- Wild turkeys live in forests and sleep in trees.
- Wild turkeys can fly, but domesticated turkeys usually cannot because they are too heavy.
- Turkeys can run up to 25 miles an hour.
- Only male turkeys can gobble.
- Predators of turkeys are snakes, racoons, wildcats and humans.
Learn more fun turkey facts by clicking here.
Here are a few great videos about turkeys that would be fun for your kids to watch.
Have fun learning about turkeys!
– Becky Lynn is a writer for EllisDownHome.com. She and her husband Bob enjoy spending time with their 8 grandchildren and traveling. Becky loves cranking up the music and heading to the kitchen to try out new recipes or cook for an upcoming party. She is passionate about continuing to be a life-long learner!