We thought we’d share some sunny and happy lemon cupcakes with you today! My family’s particular health needs require no dairy, so I subbed the milk and butter with Almond milk, and I use Miyoko’s dairy free butter! I found this recipe on Sally’s Baking Addiction. Click here to see it online and check out her other recipes!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk*
- zest + fresh juice of two medium lemons*
- topping: vanilla buttercream and additional lemon slices
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 12-count muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed in a large bowl until creamed. About 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed until everything is combined, about 2 full minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 additions, beating on low speed after each addition. Batter will be thick. Beat in the milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix this batter at any point.
- Spoon batter evenly into 12 cupcake liners, filling them about 2/3 full. Bake for about 18-22 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle will come out clean when done. For around 30 mini cupcakes, bake for about 11-13 minutes, same oven temperature. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with vanilla buttercream. If topping with lemon zest, do so right before serving. There may be leftover frosting depending how much you use on each cupcake.
– Maca is a resident of Waxahachie and the owner and founder of Healthy Mess. She is passionate about all things related to HEALTHY – Living – Eating – Bodies – Mentality – Spiritually – Marriages – and all that falls in between. She just so happens to also embrace the MESS that is amongst all of the things of life. She loves to write and share what she’s found along the way.