Are you looking for health insurance for your family?
Some timely shopping tips:
- If you’re using HealthCare.gov, note these deadlines:
- You have until December 15 to sign up for coverage that starts January 1.
- You have until January 15 to sign up for coverage that starts February 1.
- If you are using HealthCare.gov, check if you can get a tax credit. Premium tax credits and subsidies are based on your income. Update this information and shop for a new plan each year. There are lots of changes for 2023, so you need to login to consider your options.
- If you have a health issue or doctors you like, make sure that any plan you consider includes your doctors in the plan’s network.
- If you take medication, make sure it’s covered by reviewing the plan’s drug list. Call the health plan if you have questions about what’s covered.
- Review a plan’s out-of-pocket costs such as deductibles and copays. See if any services in addition to preventive care are covered before meeting the plan’s deductible.
- Ask the plan if you have to use doctors, hospitals, and urgent care centers in the plan’s network or if you can use any that you want. Ask what the cost difference is.
- Ask the plan if you’ll have to get permission from a primary care doctor to visit a specialist.
Use the Texas Department of Insurance’s “Health plan shopping guide” to help you decide on health coverage.
Have a question about insurance? Call the Texas Department of Insurance at 800-252-3439 or visit www.tdi.texas.gov.